On 27 and 28 of May 2015, at the Holiday Inn, Nicosia, was held the European conference of the transnational project INTEGRO entitled “Effective integration of migrants in the local communities”
The Conference aimed to ensure dissemination of the project results, both locally and EU wide, to all stakeholders involved in the integration process. More specifically, the final Conference includes the presentation of the national projects of all partners, discussion of their results and the impact of these initiatives at local level, discussion of integration strategies and, lastly, presentation of the final project report.
The project was based on the principles of the respect for human rights and cultural diversity, the promotion of equality and combating discrimination, through the exchange of expertise, knowledge, information and best practices.
For more information please see the information note of the project and the agenda of the final conference. Additionally, you can find the brochure of the project in five different languages: English, Greek, Vietnamese, Arabic and Tagalog.
- Welcoming address by Mr George Markopouliotis, Head of the European Commission Representation in Cyprus, who, among other things, referred to the new European Migration Agenda.
- Welcoming address of the Minister of Interior, Mr Socratis Hasikos. The speach was read by an Officer responsible for integration issues in the Ministry.
- Speech of a representative of ENAR (European Network Against Racism), on ENAR’s Toolkit for Integration, which developed form ENAR and was used as a basis for the design of five pilot projects – one in each participating country.
Pilot projects presentations
The results of the pilot projects developed by the project partners in their countries, were presented and discussed:
- NICEM’s pilot project “Employment, employability and workplace discrimination“ focuses in combating discrimination in the workplace and on the integration process.
- Radio AfrikaTv’s pilot project “Forum INTEGRO” deals with the role of Media in promoting the integration process.
- SIMI’s pilot project “With neighbours from elsewhere – Integration of migrants in their localities“deals with the cultural mediators.
- Citizens for Europe’s pilot project ‘”Voting Rights for Third Country Nationals“aimed to promote political rights of migrants and particularly the right for voting and participation.